Davies claims Race 2 victory at Aragon
Aruba.it Racing Ducati rider Chaz Davies snapped Kawasaki rider Jonathan Rea’s five wins out of five starts by claiming the second race at Aragon in Sunday's World Superbike Championship event.
In Saturday's Race 1, after topping the pole times ahead of Rea, Davies lost the race when he fell on the penultimate lap while leading to end up not finishing, but on Sunday with five laps remaining the 30-year-old Brit reeled Rea in to take the lead and win the race.
Championship leader Rea ended second followed by Davies' teammate Marco Melandri claiming third spot.
Rea did have two attempts to pass Davies up the inside but Davies was able to block those.
The 30-year-old Rea then settled to claim second place with his nearest title challenger and teammate Tom Sykes finishing fourth just behind Melandri.
Michael van der Mark on his Pata Yamaha charge was fifth followed by Xavi Fores on his Barni Ducati ahead of Althea BMW's Jordi Torres.
This video is not available in your region
In seventh was Spain's Jordi Torres with Leandro Mercado on his IodaRacing Aprilia next, while in ninth was Eugene Laverty on the Milwaukee Aprilia.
Finishing tenth was MV Agusta's Leon Camier in front of Roman Ramos on his Team Go Eleven Kawasaki and Red Bull Honda's Stefan Bradl.
Nicky Hayden did not finish the race due to technical issues on his Honda, which opened the door for Alex Lowes Randy Krummenacher and Julian Simon in 15th place to get points.
1. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 18 laps
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 0.483s
3. Marco Melandri ITA Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 2.479s
4. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 10.562s
5. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Yamaha YZF-R1 13.336s
6. Xavi Fores ESP Barni Ducati 1199R 16.951s
7. Jordi Torres ESP Althea BMW S1000RR 18.638s
8. Leandro Mercado ITA IodaRacing Aprilia RSV4 18.700s
9. Eugene Laverty IRE Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 21.290s
10. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta RC F4 RR 22.246s
11. Roman Ramos ESP Team Go Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 24.307s
12. Stefan Bradl GER Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2 25.829s
13. Alex Lowes GBR PATA Crescent Yamaha R1 26.611s
14. Randy Krummenacher SWI Puccetti Kawasaki ZX-10R 40.575s
15. Julian Simon SPA Milwaukee Aprilia RSV4 40.769s
16. Markus Reiterberger GER Althea BMW S1000RR 40.915s
17. Ayrton Badovini ITA Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m
Did not finish:
Alex de Angelis SMR Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R
Riccardo Russo ITA Guandalini Yamaha YZF-R1
Nicky Hayden USA Red Bull Honda CBR1000RR SP2
Did not start:
Ondrej Jezek CZE Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R